GMU 30 3rd Season Rifle
Hello Colorado Hunters, I am from California... Whew, got that off my chest. If you still read this post after that revelation, thank you !!
I had inquired with ColoradoScouter over on Bowsite about the tag I drew and he recommended this site to me, so here I am.
Let me start by saying that this is my first time hunting Colorado. I have been in the draw system now in most all western states for over 15 years. I have been fortunate enough to draw some incredible tags across the west over those years and have been even more fortunate to harvest some very nice animals. I DIY on nearly all hunts. I have never really posted pictures on other sites. I would be happy to post pics here, but not sure if you want me to post pics from other states. Let me know.
This year I used all 11 of my deer points and was successful in drawing a unit 30 3rd season buck tag. I will be "doing this hunt myself", except this year I am pulling my 13 year old son out of school and sports to help me out.
In 1995 I accompanied a friend who drew the roadless area of the Book Cliffs in Utah and helped him harvest a dandy bull. In 1997 I drew the roadless area of the Book Cliffs myself for elk in Utah and harvested a really nice bull (355), however I am not familiar with the Books in Colorado.
I am not trying to e-scout, or ask "where should I hunt?".. Not saying I won't take any "tips" someone may be willing to give! Rather, I have a few general questions about the hunt, and some things I may deal with during the hunt. Here are my questions:
1. The 3rd season is later this year (Nov. 6-14), I looked at the maps on the CDOW site which showed migration cooridors, winter grounds, etc.. Do you think deer will move into these area by this time irregardless of snow, or do they only go down to these area after being "pushed" out by bad weather / snow?
2. Do the deer in 30 move south no matter what, when they migrate, or do they simply change elevation. I see that some of the main drainages go nearly all the way north in the unit. Will deer simply drop off the tops and winter in the bottom of these canyons and stay in the northern end, or do they head south and get out of dodge.
3. Do you think the rut will be on by this time?
4. Do you have any recommedations for camping areas, or do you recommend staying in the towns and driving out every day?
5. Roads: Utahs roads were like GREASE when wet, is this area similar? If so, would you recommend chains?
6. Finally, would you bring an ATV? Is is helpful in this area or a waste of time?
I know this is a LONG post, but any direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.. Tad G. (aka Gamekiller)